Thursday, September 13, 2012

Finding joy in ALL things?



September is here and autumn seems to be making its appearance day by day.
Oh how we love the fall! Not just for the obvious reasons, but more so for the 'newness' it brings.  For the fresh, cool aroma that fills the air; for the anticipation of a new season and what it will bring forth.

How easy it is to find joy when all is bright, colorful, beautiful, new, cool and fresh, but I guess the challenge is experiencing that same joy when things have lost their colour, their beauty, their newness.  Where and how do I find joy in these things?  As a believer in Jesus and his Word, it would be quite easy to quote bible verses that teach of joy; of the things that my mind dwells on; of the importance of keeping a grateful heart; of the reality that my joy is Jesus and comes from Him ... I know these things to be true and active for I have experienced them vividly in my heart.  Unfortunately, quoting verses is much different from actually living the words out and making them a reality in your life.  This has been a challenge for me this week.

Where is the joy?  A question that was constantly on my lips these past few days.  Nothing out of the ordinary has happened in our lives to be questioning my joy, but the question kept nagging.  What bothered me the most was knowing of all the things that I need to be grateful and joyful about and realizing that my heart was falling short.  Where is the joy?  I spent time with God, in his Word and prayer, declaring His promises, but my heart was still troubled.  Where is the joy?

"There is joy!" I heard my heart say one morning as Abigail was in the middle of one of her meltdowns, a really bad one I should add!  Where? Right in front of me.  You see,  at times I forget the meaning of joy.  Joy is not a feeling or emotion.  It is a fact.  A reality.  A decision.  Where is the joy in a tantrum? Where is the joy in life's hardships? It's there.  We just need to decide to experience it and grab hold of it ... reclaiming it as necessary, day by day.  It is an area where we can easily loose ground and willingly give to our adversary.

Finding joy in ALL things.  What an easy thing to say, yet so difficult to live and reflect.  My God does not want me to just memorize his Word and quote it as I see fit.  He wants me to be transparent.  As I show my weaknesses, I will show his power in my life.  He wants my heart.  He wants me, just as I am and He will show me the way.  He is faithful to reveal and fill voids.  After all, those voids are in place so that Jesus alone can fill them and satisfy.

The beauty of following Jesus and having him in my life is the hope that dwells in me.  It doesn't matter if I don't feel joy, the joy is there for me to grab once I understand that it is not dependant on my circumstances but available only by his grace.  I know there is nothing I can do without him, humbling to know, but oh so amazing.  He is my redeemer. He is my salvation. He is my love. He is my joy!

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27   


Our baby girl, we can see God's joy radiate through her ... specially when she laughs!!





No comments:

Post a Comment